Topic-icon SWG: Gordon Walton - He Discusses His Part in the NGE

• Temploiter
  • Subversive Agent
  • Subversive Agent
  • Robot Death Machine
More
2 years 7 months ago #38322 by Temploiter
Temploiter replied the topic: SWG: Gordon Walton - He Discusses His Part in the NGE
I agree with you guys, even if SWG had been perfected in the months following release (or better yet had been given time to be developed properly and released near-perfect with JTL included) it still would not have beaten WoW. Because... WoW.

I also agree that there should have been a 2-Jedi limit with permadeath, OR no playable Jedi. I know that sounds insane for a Star Wars game, but it's an MMO. How can you have an alpha class without people chasing after it (wrecking the sandbox in the process) even if there are only 2 and they have permadeath (which would be a fallback position I could accept).

I hated player Jedi with a passion and went bounty hunter because of it. But it became politically impossible to hunt them (and practically impossible once fight-clubbing started). Guilds would forbid you from hunting allied guilds' Jedi. Jedi became increasingly faction-safe, which seemed dumb to me.

Temploiter
-Making Friends and Influencing People

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Shayde
  • Kitchen Staff Supervisor
  • Ex-Agent to the Stars.
More
2 years 7 months ago #38325 by Shayde
Shayde replied the topic: SWG: Gordon Walton - He Discusses His Part in the NGE
Hunted them all the time. Screw politics.

Post CU it became stupid though.

Shayde
Agent to the STARS!

Adios Whackjobs!

• Kazara
  • Kazara's Avatar Topic Author
  • Community Manager
  • Community Manager
More
2 years 7 months ago - 2 years 7 months ago #38328 by Kazara
Kazara replied the topic: SWG: Gordon Walton - He Discusses His Part in the NGE
Of course Gordon Walton's NGE discussion prompted mmmrpg.com to write up an SWG click bait article to capitalize on further discussion.

The Free Zone: Star Wars Galaxies' Under-Performance

At the end of his article, he left Closing queries

Should SOE and LucasArts have seen before SWG launched that it wasn't going to be the type of game capable of attracting the number of players they were aiming for?

Why do you think SOE and LucasArts felt that the risk in changing the game so substantially by implementing NGE was justified?

After WoW had established itself as the market gorilla, how much potential did SWG still have to grow its user base whether via NGE or other changes?

How popular do you think SWG would have become if it had been designed more like NGE in the first place? Would it have become the first MMOG to reach a million subscriptions?

"Trump is the first U.S. president in 125 years without a pet. He made the Democratic party his bitch instead."
Last Edit: 2 years 7 months ago by Kazara.

• Temploiter
  • Subversive Agent
  • Subversive Agent
  • Robot Death Machine
More
2 years 7 months ago #38331 by Temploiter
Temploiter replied the topic: SWG: Gordon Walton - He Discusses His Part in the NGE
If it had been designed like NGE in the first place? Classes and Levels? I wouldn't have been into it.

Temploiter
-Making Friends and Influencing People

• Kazara
  • Community Manager
  • Community Manager
More
2 years 7 months ago #38333 by Kazara

Temploiter wrote: If it had been designed like NGE in the first place? Classes and Levels? I wouldn't have been into it.

Exactly. What I read about the original SWG is exactly why I decided to leave AC2 (that had just implemented its own "NGE") and join SWG at launch. It represented endless possibilities to me. The non-combatant content that was also offered was amazing, and that kind of content in new age MMO's is usually a bland secondary system, an after thought (for the cash shop $$$) or just not included, As flawed as SWG was at launch, I was totally immersed in the SWG world. NOTHING has come close to those Pre-CU days. It has been 9 1/2 years since the NGE went live....and I still miss the community (Intrepid server) that I was once part of.

I have enjoyed other MMO's, but none has offered me the type of community that encouraged me to stay even after reaching max level (if I even made it that far). I never had interest in Raiding or dailies. The player economies and crafting were pathetic for the most part, and the addition of cash shops made them far worse.

"Trump is the first U.S. president in 125 years without a pet. He made the Democratic party his bitch instead."

• Shayde
  • Ex-Agent to the Stars.
More
2 years 7 months ago #38340 by Shayde
I remember reading in a couple places that they didn't market the game AT ALL until Rage of the Wooks came out. Not a thin dime.

It was intentional too. Soft launch = more time to squash bugs. Then promote after they get it how they wanted it.

So if it wasn't at the levels they wanted (500K) that was determined well before they ever marketed the damn game.

Shayde
Agent to the STARS!

Adios Whackjobs!

• Kazara
  • Community Manager
  • Community Manager
More
2 years 7 months ago - 2 years 7 months ago #38341 by Kazara
I also remember how SWH was not advertised. Smedley thought the name Star Wars was all that was needed to bring in 500k+ players. I believe the CU was delivered around the launch of the Rage of the Wookies expansion, but the CU chased off many more players than the expansion brought in. The CU was not as a dramatic change as the NGE, but it did kill the pharmaceutical professions, and made it much harder, if not impossible to mix and match skill sets to attain max level. Many players woke up to find seriously nerfed combatant toons. Some players returned and warmed up to the CU, but it is still hard to imagine the NGE was already being covertly developed. The response to the CU should have given those arrogant, greedy a$$hats pause, but WoW $$$$ was all they could see.

Now that the NGE plan was in effect at the time the CU rolled out, how in hell did Smedley allow the development of ToOW to continue?!? Between the mass exodus and expansion refunds, the financial losses must have been significant.

• Shayde
  • Ex-Agent to the Stars.
More
2 years 7 months ago #38349 by Shayde
The real reason the CU failed to fix anything was combat mitigation.

If you're not familiar with the term, most MMOs use this to make different level MOBs more dangerous for lower level characters, it looked at the respective levels of you and the MOB and adjusted damage up/down accordingly.

Since SWG never had a level classification for professions, a system had to be grafted on top to classify not only every MOB, but your own abilities based on your skills mastered. That's why everyone's levels were screwed up post CU. If you had half of say Pistoleer, it didn't count much. It totally decimated mixing skill trees, because the only way to get the max level was to master 2 combat professions.

WHICH SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKED. And was the antithesis of SWG's creation in the first place. Combat was available to anyone, and a weapon did the same base damage no matter the boxes in your tree. Specials enhanced damage, sure... but base damage was damage. If you were a master dancer/musician and shot a Krayt, it did the damage. Post CU, if you weren't max level it did nothing.

So post CU, if you literally didn't fit a specific mold, and choose to devote 2 masterys worth of points to combat, you were totally sidelined from most combat.

Which again SUUUUUUUUUUUUCKED.

Shayde
Agent to the STARS!

Adios Whackjobs!

• Kazara
  • Community Manager
  • Community Manager
More
2 years 7 months ago - 2 years 7 months ago #38350 by Kazara
Exactly. You had to have two combat professions mastered (or was it 2 1/2?). No longer could a player that mastered a non-combatant profession and a single combat profession be effective in combat.

Hubby had a marvelous pharmaceutical business going, which took a long time to build. The CU did away with all of that, replacing heals and buffs with magic.

There was also a big changes to armor in regards to types and levels. Didn't smugglers have to rely on loot drops to slice weapons for specific stats? As I recall, the devs who brought us the CU didn't prepare for the negative impact on crafted goods, like food & weapons. It was amazing that SWG didn't lose more players than it did - - but $OE took care of that seven months later.
:whistle:

Time to create page: 0.212 seconds

Login

Fringers Online

We have 114 guests and no members online