Topic-icon Raph Koster: Did Star Wars Galaxies Fail?

• kefkah
  • kefkah's Avatar Topic Author
  • Foramu Otaku
  • Foramu Otaku
More
2 years 5 months ago - 2 years 5 months ago #38563 by kefkah
kefkah created the topic: Raph Koster: Did Star Wars Galaxies Fail?
www.raphkoster.com/2015/04/27/did-star-wars-galaxies-fail/

Snippet:
In short…
The game wasn’t doing as badly as people seem to think. It didn’t fail in the market. It did just fine, even by the standards pre-WoW. But there were huge expectations that we didn’t push against, it launched with serious problems, and the team wasn’t really equipped to fix them. This resulted in a series of errors that damaged the game’s ongoing viability, which resulted in more hurried changes.

Plenty of the choices made, or the omissions, were my decision; in that sense, SWG didn’t fail. I failed it. Certainly its impacts on me personally were that it drove me to explore both plain old “fun,” something that I felt I had failed at — I got a book out of that; and it drove me to keep looking at ways in which players could own their own spaces, which eventually became Metaplace. Oh, and it made me try to be way more practical, and also made me reluctant to just manage, something which actually hurt Metaplace badly because I spent too much time on raw implementation and getting my hands dirty.

There is, of course, more to the article so click on the link and read it.
Last Edit: 2 years 5 months ago by kefkah.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Temploiter
  • Subversive Agent
  • Subversive Agent
  • Robot Death Machine
More
2 years 5 months ago #38565 by Temploiter
Temploiter replied the topic: Raph Koster: Did Star Wars Galaxies Fail?
If it was a failure I'd be damn pleased to fail that well!!!

Temploiter
-Making Friends and Influencing People

More
2 years 5 months ago #38567 by Kazara
Kazara replied the topic: Raph Koster: Did Star Wars Galaxies Fail?

"This is the last post on SWG for, well, a while. I am sure there are plenty of other things to say and more questions that could be answered, but… it feels like a natural stopping point. I must say, the response to these essays has astonished me. Here’s hoping you’ll all care as deeply about the next game I make… "

:woohoo: OMG, my heart skipped a beat reading this. He is actually thinking about making a new game?!? Bring it on Raph!!!! I'll care very deeply if you make sure it is the sandbox-y MMORPG you are best known for creating. Social, immersive and optional PvP should be the first concepts.....

Racist: [rey-sist] noun; 1. Someone who wins an argument against a Liberal. 2. Anyone who doesn't completely share Liberal ideology.

More
2 years 5 months ago - 2 years 5 months ago #38568 by Kazara
I read the entire blog (I was so excited about the opening paragraph I couldn't help but post my response).

It was a great read. I think most of us knew that pulling Raph from the SWG team within months after launch didn't help the game. It also didn't help that LEC/LA forced the implementation of Jedi, that started the decrease in subscribers. Then the SWG team started the WoWification of SWG - - which I am convinced to this day Smedley wanted most of all. He even said that the NGE was the way SWG should have been to begin with. Raph didn't fail SWG, Smedley and LEC/LA did, over and over and over again.

If you read this Raph, please feel free to bounce some concept ideas off us. :lol:
You already know what made SWG succeed despite the issues it had so you know what is important.

A Raph Koster sandbox MMORPG will be the only exception to my "Never donate to a kickstarter game" rule should he go that route.
:)

Racist: [rey-sist] noun; 1. Someone who wins an argument against a Liberal. 2. Anyone who doesn't completely share Liberal ideology.
Last Edit: 2 years 5 months ago by Kazara.

• Shayde
  • Kitchen Staff Supervisor
  • Kitchen Staff Supervisor
  • Ex-Agent to the Stars.
More
2 years 5 months ago #38575 by Shayde
Shayde replied the topic: Raph Koster: Did Star Wars Galaxies Fail?
Really telling about the lack of metrics. I remember the pet debacle and their defense was "not that many master CH" and didn't understand most didn't master it ever.

There's still so much more I wish we could know.

I do think Raph is too hard on himself, saying he failed the game by leaving. There should have been many who could have stepped up, and if they didn't have the player feedback knowledge they damn sure could have asked.

Shayde
Agent to the STARS!

Adios Whackjobs!

More
2 years 5 months ago #38577 by Kazara
I agree Shayde, Raph shouldn't blame himself. No matter what he could have done, he would always have run into great resistance if not BTFO by Darth Smedlious and his LEC/LA emperor if he stayed. Knowing that SWG worked its magic even in the horrendous state it was in should give Raph encouragement that such an MMO can be done and is worth doing again the right way. I am amazed how much he and his dev team accomplished with a very limited budget and harsh deadlines.

Time to create page: 0.199 seconds

Login

Fringers Online

We have 47 guests and no members online