Topic-icon SWG: What Would You Have Changed?

• Kazara
  • Kazara's Avatar Topic Author
  • Community Manager
  • Community Manager
More
2 years 2 weeks ago #39552 by Kazara
Kazara created the topic: SWG: What Would You Have Changed?
I visited mmorpg.com pub subforum and saw it was time to give the SWG dead horse another serious thrashing. The thread started to encompass TOR, which really has nothing to do with the actual topic towards the end.

It is already up to 5+ pages. I posted a link there to Raph Koster's SWG postmortem series to help some posters' deal with their faulty memories and misinformation.

Discussion / What Would You Have Changed in SWG?

I think most of us know there was a lot that needed changing or fixing in SWG, but if I had to list the one on the top of my list, I would have said NO JEDI alpha player characters in the game what so ever. They should have remained as elusive, powerful NPC's that would take out large swaths of players that dared to engage them. (this brings back fond memories on Dantooine). This is where I agree with Raph Koster, Jedi and the Holocron craze destroyed the game, even though no-one knew it then.

And the Deep State whispered to Trump “You can’t withstand the storm”, to which Trump replied
“I am the storm”

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Temploiter
  • Subversive Agent
  • Subversive Agent
  • Robot Death Machine
More
2 years 2 weeks ago #39560 by Temploiter
Temploiter replied the topic: SWG: What Would You Have Changed?
The first thing I would do with my divine powers would be to give Raph and team a longer runway to make the game they envisioned so that ground and space could be feature-complete at release. THAT may have been a million subscriber game (a record by far for the time).

The second thing I would do, would be to send an electric shock down the spine of anybody who thought the idea of pushing alpha class Jedi into the game as anything but NPCs. That way, like Pavlov's dogs, they would be averse to bringing that idea out of their mouths and to anybody's ears. However, if they defeated that conditioning, I would then warp anybody attempting to implement player-Jedi to 0,0 on planet earth.

Temploiter
-Making Friends and Influencing People

• Kazara
  • Community Manager
  • Community Manager
More
2 years 2 weeks ago #39562 by Kazara
Kazara replied the topic: SWG: What Would You Have Changed?
There is little doubt that the gross $OE mismanagement, spearheaded by Smedley, during SWG development and after launch doomed SWG from the get go. Even if SWG was given more development time, as long as Smedley was in the equation, the game would have been driven into the ground no matter how successful the launch.

And the Deep State whispered to Trump “You can’t withstand the storm”, to which Trump replied
“I am the storm”

• Kazara
  • Community Manager
  • Community Manager
More
1 year 3 months ago #42963 by Kazara
Kazara replied the topic: SWG: What Would You Have Changed?
My mind drifted back to what I would have changed in SWG once again. Maybe because I see what is going on in the SWGEmu. I still stand by my initial statement above, but I had other thoughts.....

Creature Handler pets would not have been nerfed. They were nerfed early in 2004 to make way for a combat revamp that never was realized (we got the CU instead in 2005). Many rare, but worthwhile pets were rendered useless when they were stripped of their armor.

House maintenance could only be paid up to six months in advance at a time and when the maintenance pool ran out, the house would *poof* as it did in the beginning. I understand that the *poof* was suspended due to players being effected by Hurricane Katrina, but that should have been only a temporary 'assist'.

Composite armor would not be the only go-to armor. All armor would have distinct advantages for certain situations.

Master Image Designer would be automatically attained by those that were both Master Dancer and Master Musician. Master ID was too underutilized to be worth the skill points allotment, so you rarely saw any when they were needed.

The bazaar vendor would have a much better search function.

Power-ups would require a bit more resources, but would allow 500 - 1k charges instead of a paltry 100.

While the NGE was a horrendous mistake that ultimately destroyed SWG, there were a few NGE mechanics I would have liked to see implemented in the Pre-CU version.

Such as:

Players who decide to take a hiatus from the game would have been allowed to pack their houses to their data pads.

Housing inventory would be increased by at least 50%. In the NGE, extra inventory was attained via the collections system, which caused a vendor search nightmare. So no collections.

House decorating would get the pitch and roll movement for item placement.

There would be regularly added new schematics for crafters. Some of the items that were only available via lottery cards would be on looted schematics.

The optional use of appearance slots to enjoy more character customization.

While many vet rewards were nice, I would not allow anything that would negatively impact the player economy, and this means there would be NO ADKs.

“I am the storm”

Time to create page: 0.160 seconds

You are not logged in.

Fringers Online

We have 57 guests and one member online

• Kazara

Login