Topic-icon SWG Reborn

• Kazara
  • Kazara's Avatar Topic Author
  • Community Manager
  • Community Manager
More
1 year 2 months ago - 1 year 2 months ago #39835 by Kazara
There is an interesting article discussing SWG and EQ emulators.

www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/12/30/star-wars-galaxy-mmo-preservation/

Snippet -

But SWG Reborn exists in a whole new legal realm compared to other emulator projects because SWG Reborn isn’t technically an emulator at all. Aconite tells me that back in 2013, several members of another server left the team after having contact with a former Sony Online Entertainment employee and formed a new project called SWG Reveniens. This employee, whose identity has been kept a secret, had stolen a 2010 version of Galaxies’ source code for the game server, client, and tools.

Due to infighting in the group, a somewhat mangled version of the source code was eventually leaked to the public a year later. Aconite was one of the members of a “United Nations-like summit” to decide how to best handle the source code, as fears that the entire community would be “wiped like Alderaan by legal teams of various companies” continued to rise. “But in the end,” he says, “Some of us were able to focus on the bigger picture and look past legal discrepancies with the larger goal of getting our precious game back.”

I left SWGEmu Basilisk months ago, but I am thinking of giving the NGE version a whirl. Basilisk cannot really sustain a pre-CU game play community because multiple character slots (up to 10) remove interdependency. I hate to say it, but the NGE was better than a lot of the garbage we are getting these days.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kazara
  • Community Manager
  • Community Manager
More
1 year 2 months ago #39836 by Kazara

• Shayde
  • Kitchen Staff Supervisor
  • Kitchen Staff Supervisor
  • Ex-Agent to the Stars.
More
1 year 2 months ago #39845 by Shayde

Kazara wrote: I hate to say it, but the NGE was better than a lot of the garbage we are getting these days.

Of this I cannot agree.

Shayde
Agent to the STARS!

Adios Whackjobs!

• Temploiter
  • Subversive Agent
  • Subversive Agent
  • Robot Death Machine
More
1 year 2 months ago #39848 by Temploiter
Let us know how it is working, Kaz. I went back and played the NGE for several months in 2007 after I was 'done' with WoW. It was more fulfilling than WoW, but it wasn't a better 'game'. I liked it better, but that was because of the community and the setting. I wonder if any of that can be recaptured.

Temploiter
-Making Friends and Influencing People

• Kazara
  • Community Manager
  • Community Manager
More
1 year 2 months ago #39852 by Kazara

Shayde wrote:

Kazara wrote: I hate to say it, but the NGE was better than a lot of the garbage we are getting these days.

Of this I cannot agree.

Don't get me wrong Shayde, what was done to the game I loved by $OE destroyed the game I loved and the community I got to know so well. I am just willing to give the NGE a go because there simply isn't anything out there currently that remotely interests me. Even the SWG Frankenstein has more meat on the bones than the shallow, cash shop centric MMO's currently being released. The NGE was dreadful when it released, but the devs did try to add substance to the game as it went forward, but too many communities were fractured and players continued to leave the game. The NGE also attracted some real a$$hats that made matters worse.

As much as I would prefer to keep playing on Basilisk (quit in July), there just is no strong community or the interdependence to make it worthwhile for long term play. Hubby still plays the resources game, but that is about it.

Anyway, I will give it a try - - it won't cost me anything but some time.

• Temploiter
  • Subversive Agent
  • Subversive Agent
  • Robot Death Machine
More
1 year 2 months ago #39859 by Temploiter
If Basilisk or some other viable EMU community put up a single-character per account server it would fix many of the problems, but like 'undoing' Jedi, I don't see them doing it.

Temploiter
-Making Friends and Influencing People

• Kazara
  • Community Manager
  • Community Manager
More
1 year 2 months ago - 1 year 2 months ago #39863 by Kazara
Once Jedi are introduced, it will be all about Jedi (who are essentially self sufficient), and PvP. No thanks.

Time to create page: 0.712 seconds

Fringers Online

We have 76 guests and no members online