Topic-icon Vent Server?

• MMO_Doubter
  • MMO_Doubter's Avatar Topic Author
  • Subversive Agent
  • Subversive Agent
  • No evil shall escape my sight.
More
5 years 4 months ago #19645 by MMO_Doubter
The last thing I want to do is impose another expense on Kefkah, but were we not going to get a Fringe vent server?

"I dont care about "gamers interest", only mine."
- Spathotan. Oct 2, 2011

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 4 months ago #19647 by Kazara
I never heard that we were going to have a vent server (It had been suggested a while ago). I am satisfied with the shoutbox and forums for my communications needs here. If a Fringe member would like to set up a vent server to participate in with others, fine, but it shout not be a site responsibility (let alone another site cost).

• Wildcat84
  • Member of the Cabal
More
5 years 4 months ago #19648 by Wildcat84
I had one for awhile that we used for the STO beta over a year ago. I can open one back up...

The cost of them depends on how many slots you buy. If we are going to do a TOR guild, I'll certainly buy one.

SWTOR: Helm of Graush. Flurry United <FU>
Wildcat, Jedi Sage (50)
Wildkat, Jedi Shadow (50)

Past games: SWG, EVE, STO, LOTRO, DDO, EQ2

• TheUltimaXtreme
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 4 months ago #19653 by TheUltimaXtreme
While I do agree with the idea of a voice-chat server, I don't think Ventrilo is quite good a choice. True, it's been a popular method for years, but I think use of Mumble is a better choice. It's lighter, easier, and open-source, so if it's known how, we could probably implement a plugin for the shoutbox to be used in cooperation with Mumble's chat system. Chaining a server along with the many MMOs we play could work out as well. Hell, if I could replace my ethernet adapter, I could run a server from my old computer.

More
5 years 4 months ago #19654 by kefkah
I had thought of doing a vent server about a year ago but the feedback was at the time that maybe one or two people would use it.

At Pax, a notable vent server commpany wanted to work a deal with us. I never got back to him though the guy had some awesome perspectives on mmos and the industry.

• Wildcat84
  • Member of the Cabal
More
5 years 4 months ago #19656 by Wildcat84

kefkah wrote: I had thought of doing a vent server about a year ago but the feedback was at the time that maybe one or two people would use it.

At Pax, a notable vent server commpany wanted to work a deal with us. I never got back to him though the guy had some awesome perspectives on mmos and the industry.

And a company like that is a great prospect for a sponsor. Since they sell services to MMO gamers but aren't themselves a publisher.

SWTOR: Helm of Graush. Flurry United <FU>
Wildcat, Jedi Sage (50)
Wildkat, Jedi Shadow (50)

Past games: SWG, EVE, STO, LOTRO, DDO, EQ2

• TheUltimaXtreme
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 4 months ago #19657 by TheUltimaXtreme

kefkah wrote: I had thought of doing a vent server about a year ago but the feedback was at the time that maybe one or two people would use it.

I do think it could work. How we'd have a keep for which games we'd support are questionable.

SWG won't last much longer, so that'd die instant. TOR is coming soon, so some could use that. If EQ2 is actually worth the time, we could have a spot for that. Maybe even DCUO (yeah right). We could even have a set of "Other Games" and could note what game is being discussed in that room using the comment system (lolpushingMumble).

More
5 years 4 months ago #19658 by Kazara

Wildcat84 wrote:

And a company like that is a great prospect for a sponsor. Since they sell services to MMO gamers but aren't themselves a publisher.

I totally agree Wildcat. If we could get free services (and even some $$$) for advertising, that would work well for those interested. :)

More
5 years 4 months ago #19659 by kefkah
Yeah, I see TOR being the primary around here.

Perhaps Secret World, though the article I am writing may not reflect that.

More
5 years 4 months ago #19660 by Kazara
Unless I missed it, SWTOR will not have any group voice chat available, right? That was a feature I really enjoyed in LotRO.

Time to create page: 0.288 seconds

Fringers Online

We have 90 guests and no members online