Topic-icon DCUO: Steam users numbers thread

More
6 years 4 days ago #10581 by daffid011
daffid011 replied the topic: Re: DCUO: Steam users numbers thread
If DCU had 220k players there would not be servers mergers. The servers would be jam packed at those subscriber levels. DCU is a really tiny gameworld in terms of public player space.

No, that number is 220. No thousands after it, just two hundred and twenty peak online players.

That 220 is only tracking steam customers playing DCU, but again that is down from a peak of 5,500 a few months back.

All the trending tools, server mergers, firing of the game director, player posts about empty servers, etc all point to the game losing over 90-95% of its original playerbase.

At this point it not only looks like DCU will never regain its investment for SOE, but it will not be a sustainable product.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 4 days ago #10583 by TUX426
TUX426 replied the topic: Re: DCUO: Steam users numbers thread

Raisins wrote: 220 people??? or 220k??

If it's just 220 then wow...just wow :pinch:

No...220. As in, 5, 10, 25, 50, 100, 200, 220 , 500...two hundred twenty (that's it, no thousands or hundreds).

And Nononsense, these numbers reflect the past 24 hours. Steam tracks the current top 100 games being played (via Steam). Most days, DCUO can't even be found on the charts. If the game isn't in the CURRENT top 100 (real time), it will fall off the chart. Early in the morning seems to be the only time DCUO is showing up any more. At one point, DCUO had 5500 players daily playing it down to just 220 yesterday (keep in mind, it's FREE) - so you can see how drastically this has changed for them.

• Wildcat84
  • Member of the Cabal
More
6 years 4 days ago #10585 by Wildcat84
Wildcat84 replied the topic: Re: DCUO: Steam users numbers thread
Maybe they should announce that they're going to do EVEN BETTAH! than FOUR MEGA SERVERS...Introducing DCUO's new SUPER MEGA COLOSSAL GIGANTA NINJA SERVER!!!!!

SWTOR: Helm of Graush. Flurry United <FU>
Wildcat, Jedi Sage (50)
Wildkat, Jedi Shadow (50)

Past games: SWG, EVE, STO, LOTRO, DDO, EQ2

• Nononsense
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 4 days ago - 6 years 4 days ago #10589 by Nononsense
Nononsense replied the topic: Re: DCUO: Steam users numbers thread

daffid011 wrote: If DCU had 220k players there would not be servers mergers. The servers would be jam packed at those subscriber levels. DCU is a really tiny gameworld in terms of public player space.

No, that number is 220. No thousands after it, just two hundred and twenty peak online players.

That 220 is only tracking steam customers playing DCU

Ah, that makes sense.
What is this 172,371 figure then that somebody was talking about? Unless, that comma is a european comma, to separate decimal points? :huh:
Last Edit: 6 years 4 days ago by Nononsense.

More
6 years 4 days ago #10590 by TUX426
TUX426 replied the topic: Re: DCUO: Steam users numbers thread

Nononsense wrote: Ah, that makes sense.
What is this 172,371 figure then that somebody was talking about? Unless, that comma is a european comma, to separate decimal points? :huh:

I believe that was total PC box sales (not including digital downloads).

More
6 years 4 days ago #10592 by daffid011
daffid011 replied the topic: Re: DCUO: Steam users numbers thread
I really have to eat some Crow here.

Back before DCU released and there was little to nothing known about the game, some regulars here were pointing to the team members working on DCU and making predictions.

The theory was that DCU was based on the devs who worked on SWG during the bad years of sweeping changes and general mismanagement of the title. That is this was the best SOE had to put in charge of their biggest project that it was a disaster in the making. That the game would die in a matter of months. Team fail I think was the term.

At the time I thought it was a bit of sour grapes and that it would be next to impossible to screw up an IP this large that quickly. I even thought SOE might get real lucky and find some initial success with the game before finding a way to screw it up and drive players away. Sort of like they do with most of their games.

Well I was wrong and everything said about the SWG-NGE core team was accurate beyond belief. Even though I have some real low expectations and harbor a secret hope that SOE could possibly somehow turn around it is simply astonishing how bad SOE screwed this game up.

More
6 years 4 days ago #10595 by Kazara
Kazara replied the topic: Re: DCUO: Steam users numbers thread
I believe "Team Fail" is a Wildcatism. He had some other colorful terms and nicknames as well that are right on target. ;)

If the Democrats didn't have double standards, they'd have none at all.

• The Fur
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 4 days ago - 6 years 4 days ago #10597 by The Fur
The Fur replied the topic: Re: DCUO: Steam users numbers thread

Wildcat84 wrote: Maybe they should announce that they're going to do EVEN BETTAH! than FOUR MEGA SERVERS...Introducing DCUO's new SUPER MEGA COLOSSAL GIGANTA NINJA SERVER!!!!!

I would play on a "SUPER MEGA COLOSSAL GIGANTA NINJA SERVER". My data would have to be safe on "Ninja" server. Ninja for the win!

Seriously, I would download it and pittle with it from time to time but i would not play it anywhere close to regularly. Just when I was bored and wanted to see what was going on.
Last Edit: 6 years 4 days ago by The Fur.

• Shayde
  • Kitchen Staff Supervisor
  • Kitchen Staff Supervisor
  • Ex-Agent to the Stars.
More
6 years 4 days ago #10598 by Shayde
Shayde replied the topic: Re: DCUO: Steam users numbers thread
Anyone who thought the game wouldn't suck based on its design team and that $OE was building it was either totally ignorant of history or delusional.

Shayde
Agent to the STARS!

Adios Whackjobs!

• Wildcat84
  • Member of the Cabal
More
6 years 4 days ago #10599 by Wildcat84
Wildcat84 replied the topic: Re: DCUO: Steam users numbers thread

Kazara wrote: I believe "Team Fail" is a Wildcatism. He had some other colorful terms and nicknames as well that are right on target. ;)

I called them NGE Team FAIL.

Consider too that DCUO went through multiple former NGE lead Devs or producers, amongst them:

Grant "Rogue 5" McDaniel
The Dork Lord Heliass
Blixtev
Dotanuki (ie: zombie boy)
and they ended up with DeadMeat.

With leadership like that how could anyone have believed they'd do anything BUT fail?

SWTOR: Helm of Graush. Flurry United <FU>
Wildcat, Jedi Sage (50)
Wildkat, Jedi Shadow (50)

Past games: SWG, EVE, STO, LOTRO, DDO, EQ2

Time to create page: 0.193 seconds

Fringers Online

We have 67 guests and no members online