Topic-icon Postcards from Rohan (and thereabouts)

• kefkah
  • kefkah's Avatar Topic Author
  • Foramu Otaku
  • Foramu Otaku
More
4 years 5 months ago - 4 years 5 months ago #30692 by kefkah
kefkah created the topic: Postcards from Rohan (and thereabouts)
www.mmofringe.com/news/articles/18-mmogames/lord-of-the-rings-online/269-postcards-from-rohan-and-thereabouts

Snippet:

I will be the first to admit that, at first, Rohan was slow and disappointing as compared to how Isengard finished out. It started off just like the same old MMO scenario and there was no real clear path to where I needed to go. Worse still, apparently I had two storyline quests running at the same time that were chronological. What this mean was that I had an npc with me who generated 2 responses from NPCs. The present and apparently the future. This kind of ruined a surprise for me at the end of the first storyline and to be honest, I am not sure how this happened.

HOWEVER, when I got to Rohan itself - I started to notice some interesting changes to the overall gameplay. For example, you could harvest and mine without getting off your regular mount. This also applies to looting as well now. Also, you know when you encounter an named npc or creature and you kick its ass only to go back to town and then get the quest for it? Well, now when you encounter a scenario or an npc that is tied to a quest - it triggers a prompt on the screen to start that quest right then and there. So no more having to kill Bill the Rogue 2xs.

Click the link above to read more on mounted combat and to see the photo gallery of my journey to Rohan

Last Edit: 4 years 5 months ago by kefkah.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Temploiter
  • Subversive Agent
  • Subversive Agent
  • Robot Death Machine
More
4 years 5 months ago #30695 by Temploiter
Temploiter replied the topic: Re: Postcards from Rohan (and thereabouts)
Nice article, Kef. Being a huge Tolkien fan (my Mom introduced me to Tolkien at age 10 when I found her Fantasy Lit books on a shelf in the basement) I wanted to like LOTRO. But, I just couldn't get into it when I tried.

Is the game, in the state that it is in today, friendly to a totally new player?

And, knowing me as you do, do you think I would enjoy the game?

Temploiter
-Making Friends and Influencing People

• kefkah
  • Foramu Otaku
  • Foramu Otaku
More
4 years 5 months ago #30702 by kefkah
kefkah replied the topic: Re: Postcards from Rohan (and thereabouts)
You see that is where I am torn. Its been so long since I have done the noob sections (which have been revamped that I am not sure how they work). I have visited them recently because my 2 sons are now giving it a go with the f2p thing - but I find myself wanting to get them to Angmar so much because that is where the storyline really kicks in and you get that true sense of immersion and importance in the whole scheme of things.

The thing is there are like 40 levels to get through in order to get to that point... though with help, you can make about 20 in 3 days solid play. Help being a higher level player teaming up and powering you through some of the earlier content.

Well, Barrow Downs was actually fun and it was 15-20. You meet Bombadil around that time as well.

In a nutshell - Angmar draws you in, Moria tests your resolve, Mirkwood is alright but past that the game gives you the trilogy feel. Complete with the wilderness coming at you from every angle, the great river tracking, the orc raiding parties and even goes beyond the books and takes you into the towns of rohan and their individual roles.

Last night, a Thane died and his young son had to take over in the face of the orc onslaught - you get to be there, mentoring him and dealing with his overprotective mother. Sounds cliche but I actually felt like I was helping the kid all the way up to the end conflict which results were uncertain... I was holding my breath hoping he would make it as the waves crashed into the town. The fact that I was concerned - knew his name and was so preoccupied with the progression that I have no pics of the time I was there tells me that I was immersed.

The total point to all of this - make it to angmar and then you will be rewarded. Get past Moria which is now 100% more soloable and you will be rewarded with the open range of the books. But all of this requires investment of time and money. Steam has a pack that takes you up to the borders of Isengard (does not include Isengard expansion or Rohan expansion)for like $29 though.

That and finding the right class. I love my warden more than any other class in any other mmo. It has a 9 on a 10 scale of learning difficulty but after I got the hang of him in my 30s - and customized the legendary weaponry in my 50s, I go where I want to go, assault what I want to take down and roam with very little fear that I will go down without taking most of the foes with me.

• kefkah
  • Foramu Otaku
  • Foramu Otaku
More
4 years 5 months ago #30703 by kefkah
Lastly, I FINALLY figured out mounted combat late last night. In short, you have to view the horse as a 2nd character, complete with skills, armor, traits and levels. I missed the skills area which resembles a WoW progression tree. Once I found that and found that you can assign skill point builds for various needs (say like a fast and maneuverable build with perks or a combat, in the thick of it, armor perk build) - mounted combat changed to something a lot more enjoyable. Best part is that when your horse goes down, you jump off and start fighting with your main character so its like having two lives.

I opted for an intial build for speed and handling and was amazed at the difference. I got caught up so much into mounted combat after I found that menu - that came to the realization that it was early in the morning.

• kefkah
  • Foramu Otaku
  • Foramu Otaku
More
4 years 5 months ago #30710 by kefkah
And for those interested... Steam is having 2 sales

This one (the better deal of the two)
store.steampowered.com/app/213178/?snr=1_7_suggest__13

and then the starter pack (which is still a good deal)
store.steampowered.com/app/213174/?snr=1_7_suggest__13

Time to create page: 0.175 seconds

Fringers Online

We have 109 guests and no members online

Joomla! Debug Console

Session

Profile Information

Memory Usage

Database Queries