× A Place Where MMOs Come To Die

Topic-icon Turbine is Shutting Down Both Asheron's Call MMOs in January

• Kazara
  • Kazara's Avatar Topic Author
  • Community Manager
  • Community Manager
More
6 months 4 days ago - 6 months 4 days ago #44137 by Kazara
Kazara created the topic: Turbine is Shutting Down Both Asheron's Call MMOs in January
I saw this coming when Turbine announced that LotRO and DDO were going to be handed off to new independent developer, Standing Stone Games. Sad news. Asheron's Call was my first MMORPG and it rated second in my love and enjoyment after SWG.

I had hoped that a new updated Asheron's Call would be developed, but it never came to fruition. :(

www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/169097-Turbine-Shutting-Down-Both-Asherons-Call-MMOs-in-January

Snippet -

Released in 1999, Asheron's Call is one of the longest-running MMOs still in existence today. It was the third major MMO to hit the market (after Ultima Online and Everquest), and was originally published by Microsoft. That's all about to come to an end, as Turbine announced yesterday that it will shut down both Asheron's Call and Asheron's Call 2 on January 31, 2017.

This news comes in the wake of Turbine's announcement that Lord of the Rings Online and Dungeons and Dragons Online will go forward under the auspices of a new independent developer, Standing Stone Games. When the Asheron's Call games weren't mentioned in that announcement, players feared the worst, and it has come to pass.

What will become of Turbine? Any ideas?

If the Democrats didn't have double standards, they'd have none at all.
Last Edit: 6 months 4 days ago by Kazara.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Temploiter
  • Subversive Agent
  • Subversive Agent
  • Robot Death Machine
More
6 months 3 days ago #44142 by Temploiter
Temploiter replied the topic: Turbine is Shutting Down Both Asheron's Call MMOs in January
Was Turbine bought out? Sounds similar to what happened to Mythic after it was sold to EA. If you ever start a game studio, no matter how tired you are of running it, no matter how badly you want to cash-in, DO NOT SELL TO THE BIG STUDIOS!!! Sell to your employees, they will thank you later.

There is a local/regional chain of pharmacies around here started by an independent pharmacist. He's grown the business to around a dozen or more pharmacies in maybe 4 counties, including one co-located in a regional hospital. But, he's getting older and wants to retire. Instead of cashing in and selling his franchises to CVS or Rite-AID, he is progressively, over time, selling the company to his current employees via an opt-in program that sells internal corporate stock to them pre-tax from their pay. It will take 4 years to complete the sale, but after that he will have the money he wants for retirement, and the employees will keep their company and benefits and have an ownership stake moving forward.

Temploiter
-Making Friends and Influencing People

• Kazara
  • Community Manager
  • Community Manager
More
6 months 3 days ago - 6 months 3 days ago #44152 by Kazara
Kazara replied the topic: Turbine is Shutting Down Both Asheron's Call MMOs in January
The developers went into newly created Standing Stone Games, so I am wondering if this was easier to do if Turbine had unknown liabilities that they didn't want to pass on. I am sure we will hear the details in time. Turbine used to be an awesome studio - - sad to see them fade away, but I agree, better this than the entire studio getting bought out by a huge studio that hurts more than helps the games and developers in the long run.

Last Edit: 6 months 3 days ago by Kazara.

• Kazara
  • Community Manager
  • Community Manager
More
6 months 3 days ago #44155 by Kazara
Kazara replied the topic: Turbine is Shutting Down Both Asheron's Call MMOs in January
I vaguely remember this July announcement. Turbine is shrinking into a mobile game studio.

Turbine layoffs confirmed: Turbine is transitioning into a ‘mobile’ dev studio

The Soapbox: Asheron’s Call is dead, and Turbine killed it

Snippet -

Unfortunately, Turbine’s always paired up with not-so-great partners. Microsoft rushed AC2 out the door with a broken chat system (among other issues), which honestly caused the game a lot of its early woes. While a lot of people complain about factors such as class trees, the fact that the game had a lot of quests to help you level (rather than requiring players to grind monsters – and long before World of Warcraft did it) also frustrated gamers. Players who returned to AC1 often missed basic differences (basic trees often allowed for unique hybrid specs, like tank-archer-healers), and their arguments to me would end with, “Well, if the chat system had worked, maybe someone could have told me that.”

Getting access to IPs like Dungeons and Dragons and Lord of the Rings may have brought Turbine money, but it also stifled creativity. When you work with someone else’s IP, you play by his rules. And while I’m sure teaming up with Warner Brothers has helped Turbine financially through the years, changing it into a mobile company is a bad move for WB. The current official site has one launched game, one in development game, and the remains of Asheron’s Call, which as we know isn’t long for this world. I don’t hear anyone talking about their Batman game, and Infinite Crisis — well, Eliot made some good points about it before it shut down. The business decisions haven’t been good ones.

Time to create page: 0.254 seconds

Fringers Online

We have 116 guests and no members online