• Kazara's Avatar Topic Author
  • Community Manager
  • Community Manager
More
6 months 1 week ago - 6 months 1 week ago #44729 by Kazara
Kazara created the topic: Five reasons behind the failure of Hero's Song
massivelyop.com/2017/02/13/five-reasons-behind-the-failure-of-heros-song/

Snippet -

In July of 2015, MMORPG fans were stunned to hear that John Smedley was stepping down from his post as president of Daybreak. After all, he had been in the captain's chair at Verant, SOE, and now Daybreak for nearly two decades, helming the company as it handled some of the most influential MMOs of the early generation, including EverQuest and Star Wars Galaxies. Fans were curious to know both what happened and what Smedley was planning to do next.

They didn't have to wait long for the latter. A month later, Smedley announced that he was starting up his own studio to work on a new game. Using his industry contacts and years of experience in game development, Smedley pulled together a solid team to craft Hero's Song, an online fantasy survival game that would provide huge, customizable worlds. The team went into a flurry of activity, putting out dev blogs, holding fundraisers, and pushing early access out the door.

Yet by the end of 2016, the project was dead, refunds were being distributed to backers, and Smedley's studio was dissolved. So what happened? Why did Hero's Song fail when it had so much going for it? Now that a couple of months have passed, it might be time to step back and perform a post-mortem on this fascinating and doomed game. I posit that there are five key reasons why we're not right now playing Hero's Song and anticipating its official launch by the end of the year. Hindsight is 20-20, after all, so what could Smedley have done different?

I'll tell you now that Smedley is #1 on the list. I always felt his name was the dead weight that dragged the project down.

Racist: [rey-sist] noun; 1. Someone who wins an argument against a Liberal. 2. Anyone who doesn't completely share Liberal ideology.
Last Edit: 6 months 1 week ago by Kazara.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Temploiter
  • Subversive Agent
  • Subversive Agent
  • Robot Death Machine
More
6 months 1 week ago #44731 by Temploiter
Temploiter replied the topic: Five reasons behind the failure of Hero's Song
Smedley's name is mud. He's very vocally hated by plenty of MMO players. I would also put his name as the #1 reason it failed.

Temploiter
-Making Friends and Influencing People

• Kazara
  • Kazara's Avatar Topic Author
  • Community Manager
  • Community Manager
More
6 months 1 week ago #44734 by Kazara
Kazara replied the topic: Five reasons behind the failure of Hero's Song

Temploiter wrote: Smedley's name is mud. He's very vocally hated by plenty of MMO players. I would also put his name as the #1 reason it failed.

Absolutely! As soon as I saw Smedley's name on this title, I knew it was automatic fail. His name is MMO/Gaming terminal cancer. He treated his paying clients like garbage then thinks he can escape the stain that was $OE and then thinks he will still land on top of the gaming development community. Sorry.....serious gamers have a long memory and rightfully so. As long as I am breathing, I will always remember and rail against ANY project he is involved with.

Racist: [rey-sist] noun; 1. Someone who wins an argument against a Liberal. 2. Anyone who doesn't completely share Liberal ideology.

Time to create page: 0.133 seconds

Login

Fringers Online

We have 54 guests and no members online