Topic-icon Video games on Kickstarter continue to struggle

• Kazara
  • Kazara's Avatar Topic Author
  • Community Manager
  • Community Manager
More
2 weeks 1 day ago #46213 by Kazara
Kazara created the topic: Video games on Kickstarter continue to struggle
massivelyop.com/2017/08/04/video-games-on-kickstarter-continue-to-struggle-thanks-to-fading-consumer-confidence/

Snippet -

Where’s all the money going? Tabletop games. In fact, in 2017 so far, people have poured more than 7 times as much money into successful tabletop game Kickstarters as successful video game Kickstarters. That doesn’t surprise me, as every project I’ve backed in that category has come to fruition and shipped as promised. I can’t say that about all the video games I’ve backed.

Indeed, for video game crowdfunding, “the overall trend is one of decline,” GI.biz’s Rob Fahey argues, and the reason is failing consumer confidence, specifically in Kickstarted video games — he maintains that the bubble has burst and that video games are singularly unsuited for crowdfunding anyway.

“As developers big and small flocked to crowdfunding platforms in the early 2010s, lots of notes of concern were sounded. Many of the projects being funded were clearly over-ambitious; even some developers with great track records were pulling in cash for projects that looked disconcertingly open-ended, while some games were being funded despite the teams behind them showing little evidence of being able to execute on their plans. Yet at that point, the crowdfunding market just kept growing and growing; no matter how much hand-wringing there was about the likelihood of failed projects, the money and the hopeful wannabe fundees kept coming.”

Racist: [rey-sist] noun; 1. Someone who wins an argument against a Liberal. 2. Anyone who doesn't completely share Liberal ideology.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.123 seconds

Login

Fringers Online

We have 55 guests and no members online