Topic-icon Editorial: Ubisoft, Boss Skip Buttons, And Gaming Without Challenge

• Kazara
  • Kazara's Avatar Topic Author
  • Community Manager
  • Community Manager
More
2 months 1 week ago #46648 by Kazara
Kazara created the topic: Editorial: Ubisoft, Boss Skip Buttons, And Gaming Without Challenge
www.oneangrygamer.net/2017/10/editorial-ubisoft-boss-skip-buttons-and-gaming-without-challenge/41002/

Snippet -

It’s funny that even Ubisoft sees how overtly layered their own games have become with the “grind” and have thus resorted to the “Educational” mode as a solution in Assassin’s Creed: Origins. The mode will allow players to bypass all combat and challenges within the game, and instead play through the game as an edutainment title, simply going around exploring locations, learning about history, and going on what basically amounts to a virtual tour of Egypt.

Sites like Rock, Paper, Shotgun are not only praising Ubisoft for the “Educational” mode, but have taken that extra step to encourage other developers to implement more features that bypass actual gameplay… such as a “Boss Skip” button. Why not encourage them to bring back real cheat codes so you can skip or breeze through the boss fights at your own leisure?

Anyway, John Walker from Rock, Paper, Shotgun writes…

“I know an awful lot of what’s made gaming culture such a miserably toxic environment over the last few years is deeply wrapped up in subjects like this, and those who spread the toxicity are those most likely to be on the side of condemning gaming options that remove challenge, that make the hobby more accessible to the crowds. But at the same time, I’m not going to allow that sewage to pollute my opinions, and my delight in expressing those opinions, and I’ve long been arguing that gaming can be a far better place if the industry would only introduce the “Skip Boss Fight” button.”

The thing is, Rock, Paper, Shotgun’s claim that adding more ways to not play the game would somehow make gaming more inclusive is the same sort of argument we’ve seen with journalists saying adding more playable women to AAA action titles would allow publishers to reach 50% more of the consumer base. We’ve seen that such a tactic hasn’t really worked out that well for some developers, such as Agents of Mayhem or Assassin’s Creed: Syndicate. In other cases like Horizon: Zero Dawn the game hasn’t sold anymore than The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, the latter of which stars a male character. For clarity: gender swapping doesn’t instantaneously equate to “50% more sales”.

And the Deep State whispered to Trump “You can’t withstand the storm”, to which Trump replied
“I am the storm”

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds

You are not logged in.

Fringers Online

We have 89 guests and no members online

Login