Topic-icon ESRB Defends Loot Boxes, Claims It’s Not Gambling Because You Always Get Somethi

• Kazara
  • Kazara's Avatar Topic Author
  • Community Manager
  • Community Manager
More
1 month 4 weeks ago #46718 by Kazara
Kazara created the topic: ESRB Defends Loot Boxes, Claims It’s Not Gambling Because You Always Get Somethi
www.oneangrygamer.net/2017/10/esrb-defends-loot-boxes-claims-its-not-gambling-because-you-always-get-something/41624/

Snippet -

The ESRB has defended publishers and their use of loot boxes in games. The company sent out a statement clarifying why they won’t be rating games differently that have loot boxes within them, despite the fact that they very much classify as gambling.

Game Informer picked up the story where the rep from the ESRB explains…

“While there’s an element of chance in these mechanics, the player is always guaranteed to receive in-game content (even if the player unfortunately receives something they don’t want). We think of it as a similar principle to collectible card games: Sometimes you’ll open a pack and get a brand new holographic card you’ve had your eye on for a while. But other times you’ll end up with a pack of cards you already have.”

Actually, it’s not the same principle as collectible card games: for real-life cards you’re always guaranteed to get cards, some you may own and some you may not. With loot boxes you’re not always guaranteed to get the item(s) you want, whether it be clothes, weapons, characters, mounts, or buffs. There are added variables to “lose” out by purchasing a loot box they may have something that has zero value to you, at which point you would have to gamble and risk purchasing another loot box to get what you actually want.

You can trade the cards in a pack you don’t want and keep the rest, but you can’t trade any items from a loot box. It’s non-transferable.

You can see how the loot box system in a game like Shadow of War works with the video below from WCCF Tech.

And the Deep State whispered to Trump “You can’t withstand the storm”, to which Trump replied
“I am the storm”

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Kazara
  • Community Manager
  • Community Manager
More
1 month 4 weeks ago #46721 by Kazara
Kazara replied the topic: ESRB Defends Loot Boxes, Claims It’s Not Gambling Because You Always Get Somethi
Gamers are finally starting to get fed up with gambling mechanics – 2017 is the year of the loot box

Snippet -

“Loot boxes” you say? Well, you might have heard of them? Because nearly every AAA game arriving this year has them somewhere. I mean, just head to an in-game merchant and boom! Bloody loot boxes all over the place. These little boxes of joy are full to the brim of goodies but with one caveat. So you need to cough up some more cash if you want to open them. In the matter of fact, it’s not just multiplayer games that loot boxes showing up in now either. It’s the single player ones too!

You see, it would appear that in this grand year of 2017, there are quite a few games making use of gambling *cough* I mean loot boxes…And here’s just a small list of those games: “Middle-earth: Shadow of War, “Star Wars Battlefront 2”, “Forza 7”, “Assassin’s Creed Origins”, “Destiny 2, “FIFA 17”, “Call of Duty WW2” (there are a few other games of the kind that got released earlier in the year as well). Anyways, I think you get the idea. That’s aslo why I think it’s safe to say that the publishers for the said games certainly want to make sure they damn well get their Christmas bonus this year.

And the Deep State whispered to Trump “You can’t withstand the storm”, to which Trump replied
“I am the storm”

• Kazara
  • Community Manager
  • Community Manager
More
1 month 3 weeks ago #46732 by Kazara
Kazara replied the topic: ESRB Defends Loot Boxes, Claims It’s Not Gambling Because You Always Get Somethi
Middle Earth: Shadow of War goes full Gollum with Exploitative Lootboxes

Snippet -

Clearly not satisfied with the dank cave dwellings and raw fish for dinner that comes with being a corporate board member of a huge entertainment conglomerate, WB Games have decided to ask players exactly what else they’ve got in their pocketses, going full Gollum with lootboxes in Monolith Productions’ Middle Earth: Shadow of War.

Prices for the gold needed to buy the lootboxes, which contain otherwise rare orcs, range from a second breakfast sized £3.99 to a Mines of Moria busting £79.99, with more bonus gold the more you spend. Because of course there is. Because it’s costing WB games nothing.

“I am the storm”

Time to create page: 0.135 seconds

Login

Fringers Online

We have 50 guests and no members online