Topic-icon YouTube Cancels PewDiePie Show, Pulls Channel From Ad Program

• Kazara
  • Kazara's Avatar Topic Author
  • Community Manager
  • Community Manager
More
8 months 5 days ago #44755 by Kazara
Kazara created the topic: YouTube Cancels PewDiePie Show, Pulls Channel From Ad Program
YouTube Cancels PewDiePie Show, Pulls Channel From Ad Program After His ‘Death to All Jews’ Stunt

Snippet -

Google’s YouTube has canceled the second season of PewDiePie’s reality show and pulled his channel from its premium advertising program after the Swedish-born vlogger’s prank involving an anti-Semitic slogan gained widespread notice.

The announcement from YouTube came just hours after Disney’s Maker Studios said it was terminating its relationship with PewDiePie, whose actual name is Felix Kjellberg, over the same videos.

Last month PewDiePie, YouTube’s most-subscribed channel with more than 53 million followers, posted several videos detailing a stunt in which he paid two shirtless Indian men to make a video holding up a sign that said “Death to All Jews.”

Racist: [rey-sist] noun; 1. Someone who wins an argument against a Liberal. 2. Anyone who doesn't completely share Liberal ideology.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Kazara
  • Community Manager
  • Community Manager
More
8 months 5 days ago #44764 by Kazara
Kazara replied the topic: YouTube Cancels PewDiePie Show, Pulls Channel From Ad Program
[Updated] Pewdiepie Dropped By Disney Following Controversial Video

Snippet -

Following the controversy, Kjellberg posted an update on his Tumblr page explaining his part of the story some more:

"It came to my attention yesterday that some have been pointing to my videos and saying that I am giving credibility to the anti-Semitic movement, and my fans are part of it as well for watching. I don’t want to cite the sources because I don’t want to give them any more attention.

This originated from a video I made a couple of weeks ago. I was trying to show how crazy the modern world is, specifically some of the services available online. I picked something that seemed absurd to me—That people on Fiverr would say anything for 5 dollars.

I think it’s important to say something and I want to make one thing clear: I am in no way supporting any kind of hateful attitudes.

I make videos for my audience. I think of the content that I create as entertainment, and not a place for any serious political commentary. I know my audience understand that and that is why they come to my channel. Though this was not my intention, I understand that these jokes were ultimately offensive.

As laughable as it is to believe that I might actually endorse these people, to anyone unsure on my standpoint regarding hate-based groups: No, I don’t support these people in any way."

Update: It seems like YouTube is weighing in on the situation with some consequences of their own. Kjellberg’s show on YouTube Red, the video website’s subscription service that offers exclusive content to subscribers, has now been canceled as a result of the controversy surrounding the video. While the new season seems unlikely to make an appearance on YouTube, you can still watch the first season if you’re a subscriber to the service. A YouTube representative told the people over at TechCrunch the following:

We’ve decided to cancel the release of “Scare PewDiePie” Season 2 and we’re removing the PewDiePie channel from Google Preferred.

Racist: [rey-sist] noun; 1. Someone who wins an argument against a Liberal. 2. Anyone who doesn't completely share Liberal ideology.

• Kazara
  • Community Manager
  • Community Manager
More
8 months 5 days ago #44765 by Kazara
Kazara replied the topic: YouTube Cancels PewDiePie Show, Pulls Channel From Ad Program
PewDiePie Just Showed Every Brand Why Influencers Are Dangerous

Snippet -

Brands that have close relationships with influencers need to understand what little control they actually have in this space. Working with influencers is sensitive for both parties involved. When situations like the one with PewDiePie happen not only do things move fast but armies can be forged. Disney and Google are large beasts themselves but ultimately the +50 million subscribers and followers will probably remain loyal to PewDiePie (Twitter chatter seems to suggest this) and will probably be excited to see what he does next.

Brands need to be clear from the outset but expect and prepare for issues. Problems like this (although not normally to this degree) are inevitable along the course of a proper relationship with an influential figure like PewDiePie. Brands need to be transparent from the outset what is and isn't acceptable and hope that the individual has the sense to understand what is commercially acceptable in order not to stress the relationship.

Time to create page: 0.170 seconds

Login

Fringers Online

We have 66 guests and no members online