Topic-icon Teenager spent over $13,000 on Microtransactions

• Kazara
  • Kazara's Avatar Topic Author
  • Community Manager
  • Community Manager
More
2 months 2 weeks ago #47219 by Kazara
Kazara created the topic: Teenager spent over $13,000 on Microtransactions

A self-confessed whale who spent over $13,000 on microtransactions in mobile games like Clash of Clans and The Hobbit: Kingdoms of Middle Earth. Here’s the twist though, he started doing this from the age of 13. He’s now a reformed character having gone cold turkey at the age of 19.

"An open letter to EA describing how a player has spent $13,000 on microtransactions and how he became addicted to these microtransactions will only re-affirm the reason why they want microtransactions in their game."

"Any game with MTX should be rated M, to limit the access from minors."

"and someone in EA will read this and think...why the fuck would we ever stop microtransactions when STUPIDITY like THIS exists in gaming.."

"Until the community boycotts these games this practice will continue indefinitely."

And the Deep State whispered to Trump “You can’t withstand the storm,” to which Trump whispered back, “I am the storm.”

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Kazara
  • Community Manager
  • Community Manager
More
2 months 2 weeks ago #47245 by Kazara
Kazara replied the topic: Teenager spent over $13,000 on Microtransactions

"All games with microtransactions should has "adult only" rating."

""No one "forced" him to spend thousands of dollars." Said every developer ever."

"I spent around $8000 on eve online gambling sites before they removed them. the addiction is real."

"I bet EA has a huge poster now with the kid's face, under it, a label: "TARGET CUSTOMER""

And the Deep State whispered to Trump “You can’t withstand the storm,” to which Trump whispered back, “I am the storm.”

• Kazara
  • Community Manager
  • Community Manager
More
2 months 2 weeks ago #47246 by Kazara
Young Gambling Addict Who Spent $13,000 on Microtransactions Shares His Story

"This conversation is starting to go in the wrong direction for me. I don't really care for others getting addicted to this. It's bad, but I just want this bullshit out of my games. I want full games. Games with content that doesn't suck. It is bad enough that these publishers are so greedy, but also the games are getting worse and worse. They can all go to hell with these kind of games. I keep playing games that don't want to screw me over and just want my money. #FuckEA #FuckKonami #FuckUbisoft"

"All games with microtransactions should has "adult only" rating."

"I really feel for this kid and others like him but have to disagree strongly that the companies offering the loot boxes are not to blame. That's just his guilt and low self esteem talking. The companies doing this are not blindly adding bits to these games. They are engineering the most addictive elements possible through the application of known triggers and previous work done in psychology. The are manipulating people and getting the most vulnerable ones to spend big."

""No one "forced" him to spend thousands of dollars." Said every developer ever."

• Sikozye
  • Wont Go Away
  • Wont Go Away
  • Gaming Legend
More
2 months 5 days ago #47341 by Sikozye
Sikozye replied the topic: Teenager spent over $13,000 on Microtransactions
Holy fuck. I'm definitely not as bad as this kid but if I had to guess then I'd say I've only spent a few hundred dollars in MTX altogether spread out in several years. The only difference is that it was my parents who were parted with their money, not me.

After having played and quit SWTOR however, I'm done with MTX for good whether cosmetics- or gear-based. It's sad because little kids don't have the self-restraint or the cognition to realize that this doesn't really benefit them in any way. It's up to the more mature people in gaming to be cognitive about this, not spend a penny on ANY MTX, and raise awareness about its gambling effects.

MTX are NOT consumer-friendly nor serve to better the games they're in at all; their only function is to line the pockets of the publishers and their shareholders.

How many cats could a catscan scan if a catscan could scan cats?

• Kazara
  • Community Manager
  • Community Manager
More
2 months 5 days ago #47346 by Kazara
Well said Sikozye. I will add that there is a lot of developent that is invested in MTX that is not being applied to game play itself. The most desirable items, be it cosmetic or gear based are only obtainable via the costly loot box lottery instead of being obtained as a quest/dungeon reward, crafted item or as ingame loot.

MTX makes for shallower gaming experiences. Star Wars Battlefront 2 that released last month is a great example of a game where the content was developed around the loot box lottery. SWTOR's entire game play economy is based on the MTX loot box lottery. I was used to the Pay-to-win in the Free-to-Play games that have littered the MMO landscape, but I will be damned if I pay for a game and/or opt to pay a subscription for a game where I don't have access to the best the game has to offer unless I literally gamble $$$ for it via MTX.

While I am no fan of MTX, I could stomach it more if cosmetic items were just straight up sold for a set price like certain account services.

Time to create page: 0.679 seconds

You are not logged in.

Fringers Online

We have 76 guests and one member online

• Temploiter

Login