Topic-icon Is The MMORPG Genre Dying?

• Kazara
  • Kazara's Avatar Topic Author
  • Community Manager
  • Community Manager
More
1 year 4 days ago #41691 by Kazara
Kazara created the topic: Is The MMORPG Genre Dying?

MMORPG games seem to have been in decline for quite some time now, World Of Warcraft is no where near as popular as it used to be, many MMOs have died and been shut down and we haven't really seen anything revolutionary in the Genre to bring people back that have lost interest, I've read thousands of comments from MMORPG gamers since starting my channel and I can't help but feel like people are getting bored of MMOs in general, so in this video we're gonna discuss the topic "Is The MMORPG Genre Dying?" Make sure you watch the full video before commenting as my conclusion may surprise you.

If the Democrats didn't have double standards, they'd have none at all.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Temploiter
  • Subversive Agent
  • Subversive Agent
  • Robot Death Machine
More
1 year 4 days ago - 1 year 4 days ago #41692 by Temploiter
Temploiter replied the topic: Is The MMORPG Genre Dying?
Before watching the video I will give my 2 cents, then I will watch the video.

Is the MMORPG Genre dying? NOOOOO!

Before WoW the MMORPG (Non-Asian Market) was increasing slowly and seemed to plateau at about 300K to 500K users as a very successful MMORPG.

Then an aberration occurred and WoW got 10 Million subscribers.

Subsequent MMOs chasing 10 million subscribers "failed" by only garnering a million or 2, often leveling off at around 300K to 500K subscribers, before being shuttered by the disappointed studios.

Instead, they should have been doing backflips for joy over their successful MMORPG.

The MMORPG genre is not dying, it is just STILL being warped by the historical aberration that was WoW.

Temploiter
-Making Friends and Influencing People
Last Edit: 1 year 4 days ago by Temploiter.

• Temploiter
  • Subversive Agent
  • Subversive Agent
  • Robot Death Machine
More
1 year 4 days ago #41695 by Temploiter
Temploiter replied the topic: Is The MMORPG Genre Dying?
After watching it... meh. He draws some of the same conclusions we have been hashing around for years, and he never makes the case for 'what should be considered a successful MMO?'. How can you say something is dead or dying if you don't have a definition of what is 'alive' and what is 'dead' for the genre? In decline? Sure, from WoW's heyday. But again, is WoW an outlier that should be ignored in the grand scheme of MMOs?

This is something it would be nice to get Raph to comment on.

Temploiter
-Making Friends and Influencing People

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds

Fringers Online

We have 81 guests and no members online